How to Climb With a Dog

Everyone loves a good crag dog. What's better than coming off a boulder for the hundredth time, feeling down, and being greeted by an excited bundle of kisses? Here's how I manage to climb with my dog, Koa.

Please keep in my that this is what works for me and my dog- it may not work for you.

"Wut r u doing hooman." -Koa at Mt. Baker, WA
       This is my pup, Koa. She's a year old pointer-retriever mix who loves to be outside (when mom goes with) and has been an adventure dog since she was two months old.
Growing up around climbers, on trails, and in boats, she's learned appropriate behavior and has been trained to behave properly.
Koa making herself comfortable on the corner of a rope tarp in Leavenworth, WA.

       When we get to the crag, the first thing I do is find a good spot for her to lay down. when she's comfortable, she's less likely to wander around looking for a better spot. Make sure your dog has plenty of water- being adorable is exhausting.
       Because I've had her her entire life, I trust her to not run away or do something she shouldn't while I'm not looking. She actually spends most of her time off-leash.
       The other day I was at Vantage (a local climbing crag in Washington) and a golden retriever walked up and peed on my bag. Like... really? Who allows their dog to do that? They were extremely sorry, and I said it was fine, but please make sure your dog is correctly trained!!
        I know people love their pups, but if your dog doesn't like people or other dogs, please don't bring it to the crag. It'll be much less fun for everyone if your dog attacks someone or their dog. trust me. Just leave them at home, where it's safe for them too!
Koa on top of the Star Wars boulder on Mountain Home Road in Leavenworth, WA. 

        I love seeing people out with their dogs, enjoying the outdoors, but if your dog poops, please pick it up. follow LNT rules to the best of your ability. Don't leave their food out, pick up any waste, and make sure the don't trample down wildlife! we're lucky enough to be able to enjoy the outdoors, let's make sure not to kill it :)
        Happy sending!

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 GOALS

Hungry Packer Hike, California

Born to Run