2019 GOALS


2019 GOAL LIST

I know this is the typical, “New year’s resolution” bullshit that everyone comes up with every year to tell themselves that this year will be different, but I tried to focus on what I could really do to make this year different for me.

1.)   Backpack 300 Miles
I’ve been really into backpacking for a few years now, and on my quest to spend every minute I can in the backcountry, I figured this would be a great goal.
A couple trails I would love to do this year include:
• John Muir Trail (211 miles)
•Tahoe Rim Trail (165 miles)
• Rim to Rim Trail (48 Miles)


2.)   Ice Climb
Now, I’ve been Ice climbing once or twice, but this year I really want to get into it. Part of becoming a guide is pushing myself in all areas and aspects of climbing.

3.)   Summit Whitney via the mountaineers route
This one is an obvious gimme. This summer I’m shadowing guides on Whitney once or twice a week, so I’m looking forward to really getting to know the mountain.

4.)   Run the Mount Whitney hiking trail
Ultimate mountain running experience. 11 miles up with roughly 7000 feet in elevation gain. Psyched.

5.)   Climb the Humphreys
I’m currently living in Bishop, California, and the thrill of the perfect ridgelines of the Humphreys is too tempting to resist…

6.)   Big Wall Climb
This should be on every rock climbers to do list. This May I’ll be in the mecca of American climbing- Yosemite National Park.
Big wall climbing is a test of both physical and mental endurance. You have to know systems, the rock, and most importantly your partner.

7.)   Mount Emerson
A popular easy alpine climb for locals in the eastern sierra. Many do this route as a freesolo. At nearly fourteen miles of hiking with over two thousand feet of elevation gain, it’s no easy feat. Best in the summer due to the coolness at high altitude, I’m beyond stoked for long days in the backcountry.

8.)   Highlining
Now, highlining is more of an art than a sport. When slacklining 1000 feet off the deck, the line becomes harder to walk and the falls can leave you free hanging 10 feet under your line, leaving you to use your body to pull yourself up. As I’ve never been able to even stand up on a highline, this is something I want to work on to improve balance, focus, and flexibility.

9.)   Mount Rainier
As a native of the Pacific Northwest, Mount Rainier has been on my list since started peak bagging. I’ve attempted three times now, and have gotten closer and closer to the summit with each attempt only to be thwarted. I’ll be taking a week off in August to fly back to Seattle and finally stand on top of this iconic hill.

10.)  Moonlight Buttress
Any real “Trad Climber” has this iconic route on their to do list. First freed in April of 1992 by Peter Croft and Johnny Woodward, This steep face of finger cracks and sandstone splitters goes at a difficult 5.12+ rating. Although I’ve never done anything that hard on gear, I will most likely be projecting the harder pitches.
Greg following on Moonlight Buttress.



11.) Raft Antelope Canyon
Antelope canyon is, in my opinion, one of the coolest canyons in all the United States. Huge sandstone walls create a wide passageway for the Colorado River to flow lazily through. At some point this year I’d love to packraft it.
Light peeking through the canyon.


12.) Hike Half Dome
I’ve been to Yosemite a few times, but have never been able to find time to do this incredible hike. Rated one of the best hikes in North America, I’m definitely applying for a permit early this year.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hungry Packer Hike, California

Born to Run